As a crucial component of our mission, the Brigham Education Institute is dedicated to supporting our medical educators by offering access to a variety of technological platforms.
The BEI is testing and loaning many pieces of equipment to aid in the creation of concept videos for medical education. These concept videos can help facilitate a flipped classroom environment. Below is a list of the equipment available to borrow through the BEI:
Self recording lectures / recording small-group lectures:
- When paired with a smartphone/smartpad, the Swivl Robot allows you to record yourself or a small group lecture. For more information, view our video.
Creating Khan Academy Style Videos:
Using an iPad:
- Apps: Explain Everything – view our video
Using a PC/Mac:
- Camtasia/Mediasite – screen recorder / video editor
- Graphics Tablet (Wacom)
Please contact the BEI at email@example.com if you are interested in testing any of our equipment above.
The BEI has been using two different types of mobile audience response systems to create an interactive classroom.
Nearpod is an interactive education technology tool that assists in bringing the classroom to life with interactive mobile presentations that educators create and customize themselves. The system includes features such as polling and quizzing, with real time responses to display within their presentations. For more information, view our short how-to video and tip sheet.
Please contact the BEI at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in testing NearPod.
Poll Everywhere is a live interactive audience participation tool that enables teachers and leaders to poll the audience, with responses entered through a mobile phone. HMS provides premium Poll Everywhere accounts to HMS Faculty and affiliates who help support their mission.
Apply for a free premium Poll Everywhere account through HMS Education Computing.
If you aren’t on the Partners network
- Go to myapps.partners.org
- Log in with your Partners username and password
- Click on the UpToDate icon
- Follow the instructions as below
If you are on the Partners network
- Go to UpToDate.com
- In the top left, click on Log In / Register
- On the next screen, click underneath Not a Subscriber
- Fill out the next screens to create an account
- Download the UpToDate app for Android or Apple
- In the app, log in with the username and password you created above
- Go to DynaMed
- Click on Mobile in the top menu
- Enter your email address and follow the instructions sent to you
- Go to https://www.clinicalkey.com/
- In the top right, choose Register and create an account using your Brigham email address
- Log in once and then you’re all set (it sometimes takes a few minutes to verify)
- Download the app for Android or Apple
- Log in using your Brigham email address and the password you created above
FOCUSED MANAGEMENT APPS
Hopkins Antibiotic Guide
These instructions assume that you are on the Partners network.
- Go to UnboundMedicine.com
- Click on Log In
- Click on Register
- Fill out the required information
- Download the UnboundMedicine app for Android or Apple
- Log in using the username and password you created above
Journal Watch: From a Partners computer, go to Journal Watch
BWH Medical Education Video Library
Visit the internal BWH Medical Education Video Library to explore hundreds of hours of videos that feature Grand Rounds, Noon Conference, and other educational videos from nearly all hospital departments.
Harvard Catalyst Video Library
Visit the Education Video Library (EVL) to explore hundreds of videos that highlight and discuss topics in clinical and translational research. Discover new areas of interest or revisit previous talks from courses offered by the Postgraduate Education Program and associated groups.
Disclaimer of Endorsement and Liability
The Brigham Education Instititue (BEI) does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services. Therefore, mention of commercial products, processes, or services on BEI’s Web site, bei.brighamandwomens.org, cannot be construed as an endorsement or recommendation.